Video games are incredibly fun to play. There are those out there, however, that argue that game players are being de-sensitized to violence by playing these games. For a very long time, I’ve argued against this, citing games as a cathartic activity rather than a damaging one. My view has changed, however, due to this image that I stumbled across recently.
I have to agree with scifiwire here… This is awesome, you must watch it.
I wish I was a writer because a Hitchhiker/Doctor Who crossover would be incredible… Interestingly enough, “Life, the Universe and Everything” originally began as some sort of Doctor Who story treatment.. So perhaps there is more than just room for a crossover… Maybe it’s inevitable!
E3 is in full swing and among the myriad of incredible announcements and demos, the fine folks over at Aperture Science demonstrated some of their new technology. Below are some absolutely incredible videos showing off all that is Portal 2. I am so incredibly excited about this game and cannot wait to get my hands on it.
Just look at the beauty of the environment they’ve designed for Portal 2… The bright white of the original Portal lab is marred by rust and wear as well as encroachment from the outside.
The new game mechanics are simply brilliant. I can’t wait to see how creative you can get with the various mechanics. I’m sure the achievements available will reflect this as well.
According to what I’ve read, Valve brought on the team from Digipen that came up with Tag and added that technology to Portal. The result is the gels you see being used to provide additional bounce or speed boosts.
2011 cannot get here fast enough.. Let’s just hope I have enough time to play before the world ends in 2012!
The last few weeks have been pretty hectic and while I have a lot I’d like to write about, I just haven’t had the time. The logjam should be easing a bit this week, so I may be able to get to some of the topics I want to present later in the week. In the meantime, here’s another video you can check out. Quite a few spoilers, though, just in case you’re the only person to have never watch the original Star Wars trilogy.. :P
Thought perhaps you might enjoy this.. Pretty funny, quite good animation too.
The Brads nailed it …
Net Neutrality.. How could I not see this? It’s a communist conspiracy! Spread the word, my friends.. The government is trying to save us all from the great red threat!
Tim Doyle from Nakatomi designed this.. Thought perhaps I’d share it.
Stumbled across a site with these patch notes… They’re funny enough that I’m reposting them below.
- Leadership: Will now scale properly to national crises. Intelligence was not being properly applied.
- A bug has been fixed that allowed the President to ignore the effects of debuffs applied by the Legislative classes.
- Drain Treasury: There appears to be a bug that allowed loot to be
transferred from the treasury to anyone on the Presidentâ€™s friends
list, or in the Presidentâ€™s party. We are investigating.
- Messages to and from the President will now be correctly saved to the chat log.
- Messages originating from the President were being misclassified as originating from The American People.
- A rendering error that frequently caused the President to appear wrapped in the American Flag texture has been addressed.
- The Vice President has been correctly reclassified as a pet.
- No longer immune to damage from the Legislative and Judicial classes.
- The Vice President will no longer aggro on friendly targets. This
bug was identified with Ranged Attacks and the Head Shot ability.
- Reveal Identity: this debuff will no longer be able to target Covert Operatives.
- Messages to and from the Vice President will now be correctly saved to the chat log.
- A rendering bug was affecting the Vice Presidentâ€™s visibility,
making him virtually invisible to the rest of the server. This has been
- There was a bug in the last release that prevented the Cabinet from
disagreeing with the President, which was the cause of a number of
serious balance issues. This bug has been addressed, and we will
continue to monitor the situation.
- Many concerns have been raised regarding balance issues in the
Supreme Court. This system is maintained on a different patch schedule,
and will require longer to address.
- A large number of NPCs in the Judiciary were incorrectly flagged
“ideological.” We are trying to identify these cases and rectify this
- Homeland Security Advisory System: We have identified a bug in this
system that prevents the threat level from dropping below Elevated
(Yellow). The code for Guarded (Blue) and Low (Green) has been
commented out. We are testing the fix and hope to have it in by the
- Torture: This debuff is being removed after a record number of complaints.
- Item: Large Bottle of Water is incorrectly generating threat with
TSA Agents when held in inventory. We are looking into the issue.
- Asking questions about Homeland Security was incorrectly triggering the Chain-Jingoism debuff.
- Serious on-going issues with server economy are still being
addressed. We expect further roll-backs, and appreciate your help
identifying and fixing bugs. We canâ€™t make these fixes without your
- Reputation with various factions are being rebalanced. The gradated
reputation scale was erroneously being overwritten by the binary For
Us/ Against Us flag.
- Theâ€ Desert Stormâ€ quest chain was displaying an erroneous “Mission Accomplished” message near the beginning of the chain.
- The quest chain that begins with â€œThereâ€™s no Cake like Yellow Cakeâ€
and terminates with â€œW-M-Deniedâ€ has been identified as uncompletable,
and has been removed.
- Many recipes that currently call for Crude Oil can now be made with
Wind, Solar, Geothermal and Ethanol reagents. We hope to roll out even
more sweeping changes in the next patch.
- The â€œAxis of Evilâ€ event is drawing to a close. Look forward to the â€œRebuilding Bridgesâ€ event starting in January.
I can’t wait to see what Obama has in store for the technical side of things. Too bad he has to start out with technology in the White House that has been compared to the Dark Ages…